Brian Winter is editor-in-chief of Americas Quarterly and the vice president for policy at Americas Society/Council of the Americas. A best-selling author, analyst and speaker, Brian has been living and breathing Latin American politics for the past 20 years.
Brian spent a decade living in Latin America as a journalist for Reuters, based in São Paulo, Buenos Aires and Mexico City. Since 2015 he has been based in New York City, overseeing Americas Quarterly’s growth into a must-read for Latin America’s most influential investors and opinion leaders, while more than tripling its readership online. Brian is also the author or co-author of four books including Why Soccer Matters, a New York Times bestseller he wrote with Brazilian soccer legend Pelé; The Accidental President of Brazil, co-authored with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso; No Lost Causes, with President Álvaro Uribe; and Long After Midnight, a memoir about his time in Argentina.
Brian is a regular presence in TV, radio and print media, from NPR and CNN en Español to Folha de S.Paulo and The Wall Street Journal. Proficient in Spanish and Portuguese, he speaks frequently about Latin America’s past, present and future to investors and general-interest audiences. Follow him on Twitter @BrazilBrian.
- Central America May Need an Embrace, Not a Wagging Finger
- What an Ugly (But Delicious!) 450-Pound Fish Tells Us About Sustainable Development in the Amazon
- Um peixe de 200 quilos muito feio — mas delicioso — vira símbolo do desenvolvimento sustentável na Amazônia
- An Insecure Bolsonaro Prepares for His Own January 6
- Latin America’s True Disaster May Be 2021
- Bolsonaro Goes All In On Trump. Isolation May Await
- No te olvides de Silvia
- Don’t Forget About Silvia
- Não podemos esquecer de Sílvia
- A Less Apocalyptic Case for Latin America
- I Miss the Old Brazil
- A Nightmare Scenario in Brazil’s Institutional Crisis
- The Key to Bolsonaro’s Survival
- The Backlash to Venezuelan Migration Is Here
- Coronavirus and Latin America: 4 Possible Outcomes
- Q&A: Why El Salvador’s Crisis Is Different – and Worrying
- “É Complicado”: O relacionamento entre Bolsonaro e os militares
- “It’s Complicated”: Inside Bolsonaro’s Relationship with Brazil’s Military
- Dilma’s Impeachment: LatAm’s Biggest Stories of the 2010s