Brian Winter is editor-in-chief of Americas Quarterly and the vice president for policy at Americas Society/Council of the Americas. A best-selling author, analyst and speaker, Brian has been living and breathing Latin American politics for the past 20 years.
Brian spent a decade living in Latin America as a journalist for Reuters, based in São Paulo, Buenos Aires and Mexico City. Since 2015 he has been based in New York City, overseeing Americas Quarterly’s growth into a must-read for Latin America’s most influential investors and opinion leaders, while more than tripling its readership online. Brian is also the author or co-author of four books including Why Soccer Matters, a New York Times bestseller he wrote with Brazilian soccer legend Pelé; The Accidental President of Brazil, co-authored with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso; No Lost Causes, with President Álvaro Uribe; and Long After Midnight, a memoir about his time in Argentina.
Brian is a regular presence in TV, radio and print media, from NPR and CNN en Español to Folha de S.Paulo and The Wall Street Journal. Proficient in Spanish and Portuguese, he speaks frequently about Latin America’s past, present and future to investors and general-interest audiences. Follow him on Twitter @BrazilBrian.
- 10 People Who Will (One Day) Rebuild Venezuela: The Politician
- Latin America’s Angry Outsiders
- System Failure: Behind the Rise of Jair Bolsonaro
- Os outsiders da America Latina
- Los ‘outsiders’ enfadados de América Latina
- Falha no sistema: Por trás da ascensão de Jair Bolsonaro
- Fallas del sistema: qué hay detrás del ascenso de Jair Bolsonaro
- Book Review: Euphoria and Failure of Greater Brazil
- Great Expectations: What’s It Like to Be 18 in Latin America?
- AQ Top 5 Periodistas Latinoamericanos: Carmen Aristegui
- AQ Top 5 Latin American Journalists: Carmen Aristegui
- We’ve Been Here Before: An Interview with Fernando Henrique Cardoso
- ¿Donde están los líderes estudiantiles chilenos hoy?
- Where Are Chile’s Student Protesters Now?
- ¿Dónde está el Macron latinoamericano?
- Where Is the Latin American Macron?
- Indivisible: The Truth About the U.S. and Mexico
- AQ Top 5 Border Ambassadors: Beto O’Rourke
- AQ Top 5 Embajadores de la Frontera: Beto O’Rourke
- María Eugenia Vidal y la otra Buenos Aires