Brian Winter is editor-in-chief of Americas Quarterly and the vice president for policy at Americas Society/Council of the Americas. A best-selling author, analyst and speaker, Brian has been living and breathing Latin American politics for the past 20 years.
Brian spent a decade living in Latin America as a journalist for Reuters, based in São Paulo, Buenos Aires and Mexico City. Since 2015 he has been based in New York City, overseeing Americas Quarterly’s growth into a must-read for Latin America’s most influential investors and opinion leaders, while more than tripling its readership online. Brian is also the author or co-author of four books including Why Soccer Matters, a New York Times bestseller he wrote with Brazilian soccer legend Pelé; The Accidental President of Brazil, co-authored with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso; No Lost Causes, with President Álvaro Uribe; and Long After Midnight, a memoir about his time in Argentina.
Brian is a regular presence in TV, radio and print media, from NPR and CNN en Español to Folha de S.Paulo and The Wall Street Journal. Proficient in Spanish and Portuguese, he speaks frequently about Latin America’s past, present and future to investors and general-interest audiences. Follow him on Twitter @BrazilBrian.
- The Real Reason Brazil’s Government Is Struggling
- Revisiting Brazil’s 2013 Protests: What Did They Really Mean?
- Latin America’s Trump Whisperer
- Brazilian Judge’s Enemies Come Out of the Shadows
- Dealing With Trump: Four Strategies for Latin America
- Old School: What a Hostile Mexico-Trump Relationship Might Look Like
- A Note to Our Readers
- Brazil’s Authoritarian Side Makes a Comeback
- Six Reasons Colombia Said “No” to FARC Peace Deal
- Brazil’s ‘Car Wash’ Probe: Tell Me How This Ends
- Why Brazil’s Olympic Gold Could Boost Its New President
- Hey World, Let’s Cut Brazil Just a Little Slack
- Why Lying Is Often Easier in Argentina
- How Brexit and Trump Could Turn Latin America Upside-Down
- How to Get Brazil (And Latin America) Completely Wrong
- Michel Temer and the ‘Nobody Survives’ Scenario in Brasília
- A Final Defense of Dilma Rousseff
- O momento ‘Que se vayan todos’ do Brasil
- Impeachment and Brazil’s ‘Que Se Vayan Todos’ Moment
- The Endgame of Brazil’s Crisis: Four Things to Watch