Brian Winter is editor-in-chief of Americas Quarterly and the vice president for policy at Americas Society/Council of the Americas. A best-selling author, analyst and speaker, Brian has been living and breathing Latin American politics for the past 20 years.
Brian spent a decade living in Latin America as a journalist for Reuters, based in São Paulo, Buenos Aires and Mexico City. Since 2015 he has been based in New York City, overseeing Americas Quarterly’s growth into a must-read for Latin America’s most influential investors and opinion leaders, while more than tripling its readership online. Brian is also the author or co-author of four books including Why Soccer Matters, a New York Times bestseller he wrote with Brazilian soccer legend Pelé; The Accidental President of Brazil, co-authored with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso; No Lost Causes, with President Álvaro Uribe; and Long After Midnight, a memoir about his time in Argentina.
Brian is a regular presence in TV, radio and print media, from NPR and CNN en Español to Folha de S.Paulo and The Wall Street Journal. Proficient in Spanish and Portuguese, he speaks frequently about Latin America’s past, present and future to investors and general-interest audiences. Follow him on Twitter @BrazilBrian.
- Should Brazil Just Abolish the Vice Presidency?
- Dear Davos, About Bolsonaro…
- Jair Bolsonaro’s Guru
- Por qué Sérgio Moro aceptó el puesto de ministro – y cambió Lava Jato para siempre
- Why Sérgio Moro Took the Job – and Changed Car Wash Forever
- O que esperar de Jair Bolsonaro
- What to Expect from Jair Bolsonaro
- Meet the New Brazil. A Lot Like the Old Brazil.
- Brazil’s Crisis, in Two Sentences or Less
- The Real Iván Duque
- Lula’s NYT Op-Ed: A “Corrected Version”
- It’s a Lula Election in Brazil. Again.
- Brazil, Scared and Leaderless, Looks to the Military
- Lula’s in Jail. Guess Who’s Still Free?
- Brazil 2018: The “Chuchu Popsicle” Makes His Case
- The Truth About Trump and Latin America
- Ayudemos a estos chicos
- Let’s Help These Guys
- Why I Believe Lula Will Be a Candidate in October
- These Guys Were Argentina At Its Best